I found a list of 75 things you can do to brighten your day over at ZenHabits. Here are my personal suggestions- most things take a minimal amount of time, which makes them ideal for busy people:
- Take a walk.
- Buy a plant and take a few minutes to care for it each day to observe it's beauty.
- Have a cup of tea and savor every sip.
- Sit outdoors and truly experience what nature has to offer (feel the breeze on your skin, watch the clouds float by, feel the sun, etc.).
- Take a time out to do some bird watching. Set up a feeder and observe the beautiful birds that come to visit.
- Read a few pages in an inspirational book.
- Listen to music- preferably some songs that touch your soul or make you get up and dance.
- While you're out and about, admire the innocence of a child.
- Love your pet- give back some of that unconditional love that they show you every day.
- Inhale the aroma of a candle (preferably made from a natural source like soy or beeswax vs. the average kind that's made with toxic chemicals) or essential oils.
- Take 10 minutes to lie down and practice diaphragmatic breathing.
- If you can afford it, get a massage. If not, get a loved one to give you a massage!
- Call an old friend.
- Tell someone what you love about them.
- Discover the therapeutic properties of laughter!
Some inspirational quotes to write in a journal or hang around your house (maybe on a mirror or the fridge?):
- “The sky has never been the limit. We are our own limits. It’s then about breaking our personal limits and outgrowing ourselves to live our best lives.”
- “To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are.”
- “Your time is limited, don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living the result of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinion drown your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs