So, who should detoxify? EVERYONE. Why? Because in today's society, we are constantly bombarded with chemicals that can seriously compromise our health. Better to take preventative action now, than have to repair the damage later! Here are some suggestions for anyone looking to detoxify:
- Greens - green vegetables contain chlorophyll, which is a natural detoxification agent. Chlorophyll has also been shown to have anti-carcinogenic properties, as proven by a NIH study in 2007.(1) Wheat grass shots are another great way to get your chlorophyll!
- Dry Skin Brushing - our skin is responsible for 25% of our detoxification each day. Body brushing stimulates the lymphatic system so the lymph can circulate through out the body and travel back to the large vessels for excretion. To see a video about dry skin brushing, click here.
- Epsom Salt Baths - scientifically known as hydrated magnesium sulfate, epsom salts help to promote perspiration and draw acidic waste through the pores of the skin. (Caution: If you have high blood pressure or any heart condition, some suggest that you should not take an epsom salt bath! Check with your doctor first.) To read more about the benefits of epsom salt baths, you can read about it on the care2 website.
- Glutathione - the best way to consume this product is through a liquid liposomal formula or intravenously. Glutathione in pill form is not effective, so don't waste your money! (An effective product example: Tri-Fortfy from Advanced Nutritionals, this a powerful glutathione-based antioxidant that acts as a detoxing agent). Results from a 2007 study published in Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prevention, shows that glutathione may enhance detoxification of carcinogens.(2)
- Water & Fiber - adding fiber to your diet will help detoxification by promoting regularity. If you are not regular, accumulation of toxins in the gut (and possibly in the body if you have leaky gut) is inevitable. Drinking plenty of water is absolutely necessary when you eat fiber! Drinking water alone helps to dilute/eliminate toxins, cleanse the skin and our kidneys.
- Exercise - this helps to stimulate elimination through the skin as we sweat. Additionally, it helps to stimulate circulation and our lymphatic system, both of which are important for detoxing.
- Herbal Formulas - there are many herbal formulas out there that assist with detoxification. I take a specific herbal formula (Dr. Nicola's Detox #2), but there are many other options out there as well. Milk thistle is said to be beneficial with liver protection and detoxification.(3)