Detoxification seems to be such an important component in battling Lyme disease or any chronic illness. If your detox pathways are blocked, then you are essentially "spinning your wheels". You want to make sure this is not the case, and that your body is functioning at max capacity. Here are some suggestions for implementing detox into your regimen.
Products, services, & Things to try at home:
- Infared Sauna - These saunas warm the body in the same manner as natural sunlight, but without the side effects of the sun. This heat therapy increases circulation and stimulates the sweat glands that cleanse and detoxify the skin. These saunas have also been reported to reduce pain and speed up the healing process. Read about the 7 benefits of using an infared sauna. Looking to buy one for home use? Check out these portable devices [link 1, link 2] (I am in no way endorsing these, they have just been recommended by others).
- Lymphatic Drainage - This is a type of massage that helps to stimulate the lymphatic system. Many people with Lyme and other chronic illnesses (fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc.) have found it to be very helpful in their recovery. Read more about lymph drainage.
- Skin Brushing - our skin is responsible for 25% of our detoxification each day. Body brushing stimulates the lymphatic system so the lymph can circulate through out the body and travel back to the large vessels for excretion. Read more about skin brushing.
- Epsom Salt & Baking Soda Baths - These help to remove toxins from your skin. Add 1-2 cups of salts or 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda and soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Lemon Juice Tea - A lemon has 3x the amount of vitamin C as an orange. Juice one lemon and pour it into a mug. Add boiling water and a pinch of stevia. Drink up!
- Smilax - Many naturopaths and herbalists report that Smilax assists in binding neurotoxins to help remove them from your system more quickly and efficiently. I use the formula from RestorMedicine, although I'm sure there are plenty of other formulas out there.
- Green Drinks - a green powder with chlorophyll is great for helping your body to cleanse itself of toxins. I really like Nanogreens, they've even got 10 servings of fruits & veggies mixed right in.
Some Helpful Articles (Thanks to the MDJunction Community for bringing these articles to my attention) about Lyme disease and detoxification: